UK Winner Claims £58 Million EuroMillions Jackpot
A UK ticket holder has come forward to claim the £57.9 million jackpot they won in the EuroMillions draw on Tuesday 10th July. After nearly two weeks with no word from the winner, the National Lottery finally confirmed that the prize had been claimed.
One of the UK’s Biggest Winners
The player from the UK was the only one from all of the participating countries to match all five numbers and both Lucky Stars to win the top EuroMillions prize in the 10th July draw. It places the lucky ticket holder at number 14 on the National Lottery rich list.
There was a bit of a wait before the winner came forward, and the National Lottery had said it would release further details about where the winning ticket was bought if no one claimed the jackpot by this week. The reminder was not needed, however, as the winner stepped up to make their claim.
Andy Carter, Senior Winners’ Adviser at the National Lottery, said: ““Wow, what an amazing win for one lucky UK ticket-holder. This win ranks at number fourteen in the list of the biggest ever National Lottery winners and we look forward to helping them begin to enjoy their win.
"By buying a ticket for EuroMillions or any other National Lottery game, every player is helping to raise money for Good Causes.”
Another wait is now on to see if any further details will be released about the winner. Players in the UK have the right to remain anonymous in the event of a jackpot win, so it could be that no further information about the winner is released.
Lottery Grant to Preserve Tributes to Manchester Attack Victims
Thousands of tributes were left by the public to those who were killed or injured in the Manchester Arena attack and now a lottery grant will allow them all to be preserved in an online archive.
Over 10,000 items were left at locations around the city, many of them at St. Anns Square, after the attack on 22nd May, 2017. The tributes, which include soft toys with personal messages, balloons, drawings, poems, and t-shirts, are currently located at Manchester Art Gallery in the Manchester Together Archive.
The £99,700 grant from Heritage Lottery Fund will pay for two members of staff to document all of the items and turn them into a searchable online archive. The tributes will remain at Manchester Art Gallery.
Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council , said: “Manchester promised that we would never forget the Arena attack victims and this is part of keeping that promise. In St Ann’s Square we saw the public stand shoulder to shoulder with those who had been most closely affected - an act of impressive solidarity that signified our refusal to give in to hatred.
“I am glad that those expressions of solidarity will be preserved and kept. They are now part of Manchester’s rich history and we should remember and reflect upon them.”
Heritage Lottery Fund is one of 12 independent bodies that distributes National Lottery funding. Nathan Lee, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund, North West, said: “Thanks to money from National Lottery players, the public’s spontaneous messages and tributes will be kept for current and future generations. I am proud that the Heritage Lottery Fund has been able to play a small part in preserving this record of Manchester coming together.”Published: Thursday 26th July 2018
Lottery News News Archive