Biggest Lottery Winners
A line of lottery numbers is all that stands between you and a cash prize; while some players will win a huge sum of money that will forever change their lives. UK lottery fans can take part in two games with rolling jackpots – EuroMillions and Lotto. Here’s a quick look at the biggest lottery winners from each of those lotteries.
Lotto Biggest Winners
- Two Lotto tickets broke a 20-year record on Saturday 9th January 2016 when they each matched the six main numbers drawn to split a jackpot of £33 million.
- One player scooped £32.5 million on Saturday 13th February 2016, winning the third-largest prize in the history of the game.
- Prior to the Lotto changes in October 2015, the largest Lotto jackpot on record was worth £42 million and was won on 6th January 1996. Three ticket holders each walked away with £14 million.
- On 10th June 1995, business partners Paul Maddison and Mark Gardiner from St Leonards-on-Sea won a Lotto jackpot, worth £22.5 million, on a single ticket.
- On 14th July 2004, Belfast resident Iris Jeffrey won a £20.1 million Lotto jackpot.
EuroMillions Biggest Winners
- On Tuesday 12th July 2011, Chris and Colin Weir of Ayrshire, Scotland won £161.6 million (€185 million), which remains the largest UK EuroMillions prize won to date.
- The biggest EuroMillions winners are Adrian and Gillian Bayford of Haverhill, Suffolk, who snapped up an incredible £148.6 million (€190 million) in August 2012.
- The Bayford's feat was matched in October 2014 by a Portuguese player from Castelo Branco who claimed €190 million.
- A Spanish ticket holder from Gran Canaria netted their own €190 million windfall in October 2017 to become the third winner of the game's top prize.
- On 8th October 2010, an anonymous ticket holder won an incredible £113 million.
- On 14th March 2014, Neil Trotter of Coulsdon, Surrey won £107.9 million.