Lotto launched in 1994 as the first ever UK National Lottery game. It has been going strong ever since, setting jackpot records and holding special events, but there have also been changes to the game format over time. Use the timeline below to find out more about key events in Lotto's history.
The first ever Lotto draw, known as The National Lottery at the time, is held.
Business partners Mark Gardiner and Paul Maddison from St Leonards-on-Sea in East Sussex win the biggest ever prize on a single ticket when they claim £22.5 million.
The new record is set for the biggest Lotto jackpot as £42 million is won by three anonymous ticket holders. Each received £14 million.
The first ever Wednesday draw is held.
The National Lottery officially changes the game name to Lotto.
The rollover limit was increased from three draws to four, meaning that even bigger prizes could be offered.
A superdraw jackpot of £10 million shared by four players.
First ever Lotto quadruple rollover saw a jackpot of £19.5 million shared by five ticket holders.
- Bigger jackpots offered
- Prize for matching three balls increased to £25 from £10
- Ticket price increased from £1 to £2
- Lotto Raffle introduced, offering 50 prizes of £20,000 in each draw
- Lotto Millionaire Raffle replaces Lotto Raffle, guaranteeing a £1 million winner in each draw in addition to 20 prizes of £20,000.
- The four-rollover limit is scrapped, meaning jackpots can rise as high as the cap of £50 million.
- The ball pool increases from 49 to 59.
- A brand new prize of a Lucky Dip for matching just two numbers is introduced.
- Lotto Hotpicks ball pool rises to 59, with the top prize for picking and matching five numbers growing to £350,000.
- A record Lotto jackpot of £66 million was shared between two players who matched all six main numbers, with both winners receiving £33 million each.
- A special draw took place, with 200 additional ticket holders guaranteed to win £20,000 each.
- Bigger fixed prizes were offered for all cash tiers below the jackpot as a series of changes were made to Lotto.
- A new rule came in which set a maximum of five rollovers for the jackpot before it must be won. The funds would filter down through other tiers if there were no ‘Match 6’ winners.
- The Lotto Millionaire Raffle came to an end.
- Visit the Lotto Changes page for more details.